This article serves as an introduction to the world of 3D printing with recommendations for buying a 3D printer for your home.
Times are a-changing indeed… So you probably know that it’s becoming easier and an interesting proposition to get started in 3D printing and that it can be a good complement for maker projects.
Table of Contents
3D printers for beginners
Resin 3D Printer – Elegoo Mars
Build Volume: 5.1×3.1×5.9 inches
An affordable resin printer with great quality. Resin is bought separately, Elegoo’s known to be good quality and affordable.
USB port placement might not be the best (on the back, harder to reach) but it’s a minor detail. It’s a bit noisy but the culprit fan can be changed, it’s not that difficult.
Filament 3D Printer – Creality Ender 3 Pro
Build Volume: 8.6 x 8.6 x 9.8 inches
A great place to start, with room to grow and lots of mods available to improve just about every aspect.
Almost everything important comes assembled, but note that you will need 1 hour and a half or so to get it ready to print. It’s one of the standard filament printers right now with sky-high ratings.
Filament 3D Printer – daVince Jr Pro 3D
Build Volume: 5.9 x 5.9 x 5.9 inches
Simple assembly and newbie ready printer. It has software that tries to simplify the entire printing process as much as possible. It includes 3D modeling software, video tutorials, 3D model gallery, and technical support.
The previous model wasn’t compatible with third party filaments but this one is!
Today Amazon offers in 3D printers
- If you are looking to buy your first 3D Printer.
- If you have another printer but it is not very good.
3D printer for kids
This is a technology that children should NOT touch alone. There are parts that get hot and can cause burns or toxic resins that shouldn’t be handled lightly.
You could compare it to your kitchen. You have probably baked cakes with your kids, but you won’t give them a dozen eggs, leave the oven on and say “Go ahead, and let me know when you’re done so that I can help you clean!”. As with 3D printers, it’s an activity that you can share but you must be careful. Yes, 3D printers are STEAM educational toys but always with adult supervision.
3D pens for kids (and adults)
- Very easy to use, great for a beginner.
- Your kids can draw 3D structures, freehand or on stencils.
- Great for kids, artists and engineers of all ages. Kids and adults can create endless creations.
- 3D pen uses standard 1.75mm ABS and PLA (PLA is environmentally friendly, it produces very little odor and it is a plant-based bioplastic).
- Kit includes 3 colors of ABS plastic filament A/C adapter and slim, ergonomic touch pen with 1 year limited warranty.
- Turn your ordinary drawings into 3D works of art
- Stepless speed slider lets you regulate flow for optimal control of material while you're drawing
There are some more 3D pen options. All are quite similar.
We also recommend you to buy some more colour filaments and a silicone mat with basic templates.