Kano is a computing company that revolutionized the market with a computer that anyone can make, they created do-it-yourself computers kits for kids easy to build. Its founder, Alex Klein, encourages children to research, build and program their own computer. “Our kits and software give all ages, all over the world, the power to create technology, not just consume it”
In 2013, Kano launched a Kickstarter campaign, hoping to raise $100,000 in a month for his first Kano Computer Kit. They ended up raising $1.5 million.
With Kano DIY kits, you will find something for everyone in your family: child, teen or adult. From creating and programming a computer, build and coding a Harry Potter magic band, making a touchscreen tablet or a pixel kit to create more colorful gadgets. Everything with Kano is about creativity, invention and learning as you make. All very customizable, combinable and with pieces that fit easily between them. Age range? If you can read, you can start.
Table of Contents
Almost everything you could need to create a computer in a box. It’s a real computer (Raspberry 3 based) and real coding. Assembling is fun and easy, perfect for beginners. After that you have a working computer: YouTube, browsing the Internet, playing games, creating music or coding. Also the kit includes learning projects, so you will learn to code, to play with technology and to create something new. No screen included but the Computer Kit works with almost any TV or monitor with an HDMI connection and a minimum resolution of 1024 x 768.[amazon_link asins=’B073VTCS66,B07C7XCJQQ,B016HLFW44,B071HWPKN5′ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’botsbitskids-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’a8fecd5d-a38a-4f86-b91c-17ac3b00be69′]
[amazon_link asins=’B07C7XCJQQ,B071HWPKN5,B0002EWO2Q,B016HLFW44′ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’botsbitskids-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’059aae37-6a56-49ff-8a3b-b84c913f4469′]
The Computer Kit Touch is a tablet you can build for yourself. All the parts you need along with a detailed instruction book to follow step-by-step. Do you want your child discover how touchscreen technology works? Kano Computer Touch Kit has a motherboard (again, Raspeberry 3 based), a battery, a speaker, a microphone, a keyboard and a 10” touchscreen. For tech specs and FAQ just visit Kano website. Similar to the previous one but you end up with a complete computer with a screen (tablet sized, but don’t expect it to be slim!) so you won’t need to provide a TV or monitor.
Make some noise, build games with movement. Just connect the pieces, plug it in, learn to code in simple steps and control your creations with your hand (or nose or butt, there is no limit!). The Kano Motion Sensor Kit lets you build an infrared sensor that detects distance and direction.[amazon_link asins=’B072JGWCM8,B00L9WFI5A,B0779B5QLQ,B06XJKKP8X’ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’botsbitskids-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’e4a4e64d-986a-4354-b749-ad742b789ad0′]
Follow the simple steps and Build a coding wand that responds to your movements, Learn to code with 70+ step-by-step challenges (loops, logic and variables, from beginners to advanced minds), Make magic with a wave and a twirl and Play on tablet & computer iOS, Android, Mac & PC. An amazing STEAM toy. Perfect for all Harry Potter’s fans.[amazon_link asins=’B07C7X8LG9,B07BFQN5KH,B06XJKKP8X,B008SFLEPE’ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’botsbitskids-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’1cdf8176-13d6-4401-8fbb-9e13767dd2ef’]
Why are we in love with Kano Kits?
- Each kit includes a super well explained book with simple steps of how the different elements and sensors are built, assembled and then programmed. Just follow the book and build a tablet, computer or any gadget page-by-page, all by yourself! Then, code and play.
- A mix of learning, following instructions and creativity. Kano kits have a building goal and you should follow theinstructions (and be happy with your new creation!). But don’t stop there, you can actually make hundreds of projects with the parts included in the box and the programming. There are no limits.
- All kits are connected via wireless to any computer. Pieces and sensors can be combined to create more projects, toys and tools. With a bit of code you can customize it to do what you want.
- Create your own toys, empower your kid. Ask yourself, what can you or your child do with a DIY computer that he does not do with a normal one? The pleasure of building your own toys or gadgets and understanding how they work. This is an amazing gift in itself.
- There is a Kano community to be inspired, check the code behind any creation and remix it to make it your own.