Lego Boost teaches kids how to bring blocks to life with code. But there is more. Lego Boost is a robot kit for kids focused on children between 7 and 12 years old. They can build and also learn to program. A set that combines building and programming with endless fun for all the family!
With Lego Boost kit, children can move their building blocks thanks to the motors and sensors included in the set. It’s a great set for teaching kids about building robots.
According to Simon Kent, design lead for Lego Group “We want children to first and foremost have a fun and limitless play experience, adding the coding opportunity is the means to get there. We know that children dream of bringing their LEGO creations to life, and our chief ambition for LEGO BOOST is to fulfill that wish”.
Table of Contents
- 1 Amazing facts and curiosities about Lego Boost
- 2 Products from Amazon.com
- 3 Frequently Asked Questions about Lego Boost
- 4 Products from Amazon.com
- 5 I want that my kid learn robotics and coding, should I buy a Lego Boost, Lego WeDo 2.0 or Lego Mindstorms EV3?
- 6 Products from Amazon.com
Amazing facts and curiosities about Lego Boost
- Bricks colors. Very lively and very different in style from Lego Technic or Mindstorms that are more serious. An amazing set to introduce boys and girls into robotics and programming!
- The creative toolbox Lego Boost includes: a Move Hub, a motion and distance sensor, more than 840 pieces of construction and a rug to make it easier to solve the challenges when programming the robot.
- Be aware! Lego Boost instructions are not in pdf or any paper booklet inside the box. Instructions are in the Lego Boost app, with the step-by-step to build 5 projects: robot Vernie, Frankie cat (playing piano), guitar 400, M.T.R.4 (Multi-Tool Rover 4) and an Autobuilder. There are challenges and more Lego Boost programming ideas and examples on the Lego Boost webpage.
- Did you know that Vernie, the robot can talk to you? Sounds come from the tablet, not the Move Hub. You can also speak to Vernie, but the microphone on your tablet will need to be enabled.
- Mix all your building blocks and create something. You can mix with Lego pieces that you already have at home and make new constructions. Or bring to life Lego Ninjago 70652 or Lego City 60194 Arctic Scout Truck.
Products from Amazon.com
Frequently Asked Questions about Lego Boost
- How much does the application cost? It’s free. Available on the App Store, Google Play and Amazon Store.
- What does the application include? Instructions and how to program Lego Boost robot. More than 60 activities focused on children playing, building and having fun programming. App has been updated on October 2018 (adding more games and fun).
- Can I also buy a book with more ideas? Yes, we recommend you “The LEGO BOOST Idea Book: 95 Simple Robots and Hints for Making More!” by Yoshihito Isogawa.
- Is my kid’s tablet compatible with Lego Boost? Lego Boost is compatible with Apple (iPad Pro, iPad Air 2), Amazon (Fire HD10, Fire 7, Fire HD8) and many other Android models. If you doubt about yours, here is a list with devices that Lego ensures compatibility with.
- There are reviews saying that Lego Boost App does not work in Kindle kids’ profiles FreeTime. Lego Boost app has limited functionality when used within a child profile. But check with Lego Boost Help and support for updates.
- What coding language does Lego Boost use? Boost uses a block-based coding language developed by Lego, very visual and easy to understand. Children can follow step-by-step instructions of how to code or just play with the free mode.
- Is Lego Boost compatible with Scratch? The latest version of S2bot already supports Boost.
- Is Lego Boost compatible with Lego Mindstorms Ev3 system? No, the Lego Boost software and hardware is not designed to be functional with the LEGO Mindstorms Ev3. But maybe you will find a hack (we haven’t tried) in the Lego forums or YouTube…
- Do I need an Internet connection or WiFi? No, Lego Boost works via Bluetooth. You just need an internet connection to update the app.
- Is Lego Boost an investment? For sure, It’s an excellent example of how kids can learn to program. A toy with infinite possibilities.
- Is there any Lego Boost expansion kit? Lego Boost is compatible with 2 amazing Lego sets. Lego Ninjago 70652 Stormbringer the Lightning Dragon and Lego City 60194 Arctic Scout Truck. Lego Boost brings these 2 sets to life!
- I can’t decide between a Cozmo robot or Lego Boost. If your kid loves building and creating things, Lego Boost is your set. If your kid just prefers to open a box and having a robot to play with, go for Cozmo. Price range is quite similar.
I want that my kid learn robotics and coding, should I buy a Lego Boost, Lego WeDo 2.0 or Lego Mindstorms EV3?
They have different approaches. Lego Boost has an important educational component but it’s more geared to having a fun creative robot kit. Boost is a set created for playing, developing creativity and for children to discover programming.
Products from Amazon.com
What’s the optimal age for Lego Boost?
Kids between 7 and 12 years old.
We have affiliates links in this article. More info about our Private Policy.