Lego Duplo train set is a smart STEM toy for preschoolers. The train set includes a buildable Push & Go locomotive with lights and sounds. Fun and educational for your toddler, easy to control and interact with it in multiple ways.
What’s the difference with other toy trains? Children are learning the basic programming concepts like sequencing, looping or conditional statements. Let’s start!
Table of Contents
- 1 Which sets have the new Lego Duplo train included?
- 2 5 reasons why you (and your children) will love the new Lego Duplo train
- 3 How the Duplo train works?
- 4 ¿What are the action bricks?
- 5 What’s our experience with our 3-4 years old son
- 6 New sets available
- 7 Lego Duplo train tracks
- 8 Lego Duplo train track compatibility
- 9 I have a previous model Lego Duplo train, worth the money?
- 10 Lego Education Coding Express
- 11 Bots Bits and Kids Verdict
- 12 Products from Amazon.com
Which sets have the new Lego Duplo train included?
Lego Duplo train numbers:
– Lego Duplo STEAM train
– Lego Duplo CARGO train
Both are similar in appearance with the previous model but now with a renovated image and programming educational purpose, all in one Duplo Set.
5 reasons why you (and your children) will love the new Lego Duplo train
- Children can learn programming skills from 2 years old. Lego has launched this set focus on coding for preschoolers and toddlers. Now, we have access to a full range of Lego products to learn coding, from preschoolers to college: , Lego Boost, , Lego Spike (you can pre-order) and .
- The Duplo train set is still the same, a building toy with unlimited possibilities. Toddlers and preschoolers have to build the tracks, the train station or city around the tracks, and play with the train. Lego Duplo train instructions are inside the box.
- It’s a multi-purpose toy! With the new Duplo train children can learn sequencing, conditional programming but also the typical Duplo skills: motor, language, cognitive, social and emotional skills.
- It’s a 100% screenless toy. Yes, there is an app called but you don’t need it to control the train or play with it.
- The Duplo Train free app is great, well designed specifically for the skills your child is developing at this age.
How the Duplo train works?
The locomotive needs 4 AAA batteries and it has a Push & Go motor, just a hand push either forwards or backwards sends the train on its way.
Do you want to stop the train? Just a firm hold or lift off the tracks will make it stop. Push & Go technology is great and easy for the little ones.
¿What are the action bricks?
There are 5 color plastic pieces. Each color provoke a reaction: green (change direction), yellow (sound the horn), red (stop), blue (refuel) and white (turn on the lights). Action bricks work in any curve or straight track (not the ones on the bridge).
The locomotive has a color sensor on the base. Young children have to think and decide where to put the action bricks, building a simple programme.
What’s our experience with our 3-4 years old son
We have been playing with Lego Duplo Train for a year (it was a 3 year’s old birthday present and now he’s almost 4). We completely love this set, it is a highlight at our home.
- Fun for the moment that you open the box. Assembly of the train, track and accessories is very easy, specially if your child has played with Duplo pieces before.
- It’s a STEM engineering toy! You can build the tracks, the village around the train station (more fun with other Duplo or toys around your home).
- Children think and experiment with the action bricks. The idea of colour action coding tracks for little ones is genius. Kids are developing problem solving and critical thinking.
- Kids learn playing, developing basic and more advanced skills. Our son is learning to express his ideas through play.
- It’s a trigger to play more with the rest of building and Duplo pieces. We believe it’s the effect of the new Duplo train and not just his range age.
- You would evolve with coding, this set is just a start. Children are learning the basic programming concepts like sequencing, looping or conditional statements (there are some Lego Education lessons). At home, we are moving from Lego action bricks colours to arrows and we are also coding with a robot.
- Do you have a son who is not interested in trains? My son is not obsessed with trains and he still adores his Duplo train.
- Collaboration, language & literacy. The product range is 2 to 5 years old but siblings and cousins will play with them. Guarantee!
New sets available
There are 2 different sets. Each set has 5 action bricks and a Push & Go train. If you are looking for the best Lego Duplo Black Friday gift, just choose one;
An interactive working STEAM train model. It includes 59 pieces with tracks, train, 5 action blocks and some other train related pieces. If you already have some Duplo pieces, this set is the best investment!
It’s the most completed and updated set released to Cargo world in Lego. Includes 105 pieces with 3 mini-figures (cargo train driver, captain, and shopkeeper), a harbour, seagull, a boat (you can use it in the bath), 2 cranes, 5 action bricks and plenty of track…
If your toddler loves train, cargo trucks and cranes, Lego Duplo Cargo train will be the best present ever!
Lego Duplo train tracks
My only complain about the is that you’re quickly short on tracks, the supplied track is simply too small.
There is enough to make an average sized oval but that’s all so you can’t be creative. I recommend you to buy an expansion if you want to build more complex and longer railroad tracks and expand creativity. There are also 2 options available if you want to buy more Duplo train tracks:
Includes 26 pieces: a construction worker figure with spade and suitcase accessory elements, 8 straight track pieces, 4 sloped pieces to make the bridge, 8 red blocks to build the bridge, 2 beige bricks and a yellow horn sound action block.
With level crossings, stops, switches and a combination of curved and straight track pieces. Lego Duplo Train tracks includes 23 pieces: 10 curved track pieces, 1 straight track piece, 2 stops, 1 level crossing (yes, your children will love the level crossing), 2 switches and a red block action to stop the train.
Recommendation: if you have the Cargo train, it’s not necessary to buy more tracks, at least at the beginning. But of course you also can combine with the , for even more track combinations or with another train at the same time with the .
Lego Duplo train track compatibility
You can share and combine old and new ones and create a mega track. The only recommendation from Lego Service is that you are building a track with a bridge, they recommend using new trails around the slope.
I have a previous model Lego Duplo train, worth the money?
A big YES if your children still plays with the old model. But, in your case I recommend to rather than the CARGO train. You will have all the action coding bricks and the new locomotive at the cheapest price. Lego do not sell action bricks
Lego Coding Express set (45025) includes 234 pieces. You can but not in retail or Lego stores.
Bots Bits and Kids Verdict
I would recommend Lego Duplo trains to anyone with toddlers and preschoolers, boys or girls, train lovers or not. It’s not just a motorized train with some sounds, with this set young children will learn playing early coding skills while preparing them to thrive in the 21st century.
We have affiliates links in our site. Some links on Bots Bits and Kids may earn a commission for us if you make a purchase of a product or service.